Take a trip to the site of the largest battle ever fought in North America, one that involved more than 160,000 men and caused nearly 50,000 casualties.
Travel Tip: Pair your group’s tour of Gettysburg National Military Park with one more day in another, nearby American Heritage site, such as Washington, D.C.
Money Saver’s Suggested Itinerary:
- Meet as a group this morning to load your luggage onto your bus and prepare for your tour of Washington, D.C. & Gettysburg. (Make sure to bring homework and other entertainment on the bus with you to help pass the time.)
- Enjoy lunch along I-95 with cash allowance, to be determined by director and driver.
- Upon reaching Washington, D.C. arrive at Arlington National Cemetery. Watch the time-honored tradition of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment as they maintain a 24-hour vigil at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, visit the gravesite of President John F. Kennedy, and more.
- Drive to the National Archives, step inside the Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom and see the Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.
- Continue your tour by visiting Capitol Hill. Be sure to walk around and get pictures of the United States Capitol, the Library of Congress, and the Supreme Court Building.
- Enjoy dinner tonight at Union Station. Vouchers will be provided.
- Proceed traveling west for pictures outside The White House, home and office of the President of the United States.
- Enjoy a self-guided tour of the World War II Memorial and Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial. If time allows, there are many other iconic monuments and memorials nearby that you may want to visit such as the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, etc.
- After your self-guided tour, check into your hotel for the night. Security will be provided.
- Wake up this morning and enjoy breakfast at the hotel. After breakfast, check out of the hotel and load your luggage onto your bus before departing for the National Museum of American History or the National Museum of Natural History.
- After your time at either museum, walk 0.4-0.7 miles to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Upon arriving at the museum, watch the 30-minute film Remember the Children: Daniel’s Story; which presents the history of the Holocaust through the experience of one child. If time permits, you may be able to walk through some of the other nonticketed exhibits.
- Lunch is available today at L’Enfant Plaza, a shopping center with more than 40 restaurants and shops. It is a 0.6 mile walk from the USHMM. Lunch vouchers will be provided.
- After lunch walk 0.5 miles to the National Air and Space Museum. This Smithsonian museum maintains the world’s largest and most significant collection of aviation and space artifacts.
- Your bus will pick you up around 3 p.m., from the museum, and depart for Gettysburg.
- Upon arriving in Gettysburg enjoy dinner at the Historic 1776 Dobbin House Tavern before departing on a haunted city tour. Your tour guide will take you for a short walk in the vicinity of Baltimore Street and Steinwehr Avenue, sharing eerie tales as you pass locations such as the Soldiers National Cemetery, the former Hall of Presidents & First Ladies Museum, and the National Soldiers Orphanage Homestead.
- After your guided tour, check into your hotel for the night. Security will be provided.
- Wake up this morning and enjoy breakfast at the hotel. After breakfast, check out of the hotel, load your luggage onto your bus, and depart for Gettysburg Heritage Center’s 20-minute orientation film, which takes an in-depth look at the three-day battle, including the aftermath and the dedication of Soldiers’ National Cemetery.
- Make the short transfer to the Jennie Wade House. Authentically furnished from cellar to attic, the Jennie Wade House is a shrine to Jennie and to life during the American Civil War. Each bus will take turns touring the house while the other explores Evergreen Cemetery.
- When both buses have finished their activities, hop on board for a self-guided bus tour through Gettysburg National Military Park.
- Following your self-guided bus tour depart for General Pickett’s Buffet for lunch before starting on your way home.
- Re-board your bus and depart for home having experienced the best that Washington, D.C. and Gettysburg have to offer.